Search This Blog

Monday, September 1, 2008

Unwelcome house guest




Anyone who has known us long, is well acquainted with the fact that interesting adventures are always happening to the Jonas Tracy family. Labor Day weekend was quiet and uneventful until we met a very large tarantula while enjoying an evening bike ride. Actually, the bike ride was an adventure in itself...imagine Jonas wearing Katelyn in a front carrier while riding a bike pulling a trailer with Emma and Caleb stuffed inside. Capt. Jack was running alongside while I jogged up ahead. Anyway, Emma points out that a large spider is crossing the road which turns out to be a huge tarantula. Do we leave it there? Of course not! We take it home and while Jonas and the kids are looking up tarantula info on the internet, I hear Caleb running to the plastic bin to check the tarantula's markings. A little voice tells me to double check that he secures the lid, but I unwisely ignore that voice. At bedtime, I passed the bin and saw that our house guest was missing! Mr. Tarantula could be anywhere...that lid was not secured after all! I grab a flashlight and immediately check Katelyn's room. Jonas and I are looking with great determination while Emma is freaking out and Caleb is defending himself. I was very concerned but knew this would be a hilarious story once it was over. Fortunately, Caleb spotted the tarantula at the top of the stairs (he had climbed all the way up from the entryway) and as I type this, Jonas and the kids are at the pet store buying food and a new, secure home for our hairy friend...who will be taking up residence in the garage I might add.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my goodness...i was sitting her about to leave for Juice It Up and saw your post...

Tarantula's can jump 4 feet you know!!!! at least that's why my dad told me!

I am Mom said...

that is really wild Lara - friends of mine kept the tarantula they found and they loved watching it molt! and the adventures continue ;)

. said...

You are a much bigger woman than I as I would NEVER allow any kind of huge hairy spider anywhere near the house! :)

Miller Family said...

Oh my- you are brave! The boys havn't brought to many hairy creatures my way- well at least yet! They would love to check that out. Does it have a name?

Natasha said...

No way!! I have nightmares about those things. I can't tolerate big spiders or snakes. I would be screaming if one was walking around our house!

Nate's Nest (Montgomery Family) said...

Cool...my kids would be so jealous to know you guys had a pet tarantula!